Monday, October 16, 2017

Congressman Al Green's Statement on Impeachment

Source: Al Green (D-TX, 9th)

Washington, D.C. - October 16, 2017 - (The Ponder News) -- On Wednesday, October 11, 2017, Congressman Al Green (D-TX) released a statement on impeachment:

“I love my Country, I salute my Flag. I say the Pledge of Allegiance and I believe in liberty and justice for all as declared in the pledge.

“I also believe that to acquire liberty and justice for all, some must stand alone.

“Like Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., I believe that the “truest measure of a person is not where you stand in times of comfort and convenience,” when the world is with you, but rather, where do you stand in times of challenge and controversy, when you may stand alone.

“Today, I rise to use the constitutionally prescribed political process of impeachment to speak truth to the most powerful man on earth, the President of the United States of America.

“I do so knowing that the public has been led to believe that a President must commit a crime to be impeached, which is not true. If any President persisted with the lie that “Hitler was right,” he would be, and should be, impeached not for a crime, but for betraying his trust as President.

“I do so knowing that many, of my contemporaries will criticize my actions. Some will castigate me, others may desire to do something more dastardly with hopes of suppressing all embers of courage that might inflame others to speak truth to power or the powerful.

“Ultimately, to again quote Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., I will do that which is “neither safe, nor politic, nor popular.” I will do that which is right and let others do what they may and allow history to judge us all.”

No comments:

Post a Comment